The most common question I have been asked is how can you hack and see your saved router password. Funny enough many people tend to forget their WiFi passwords and trust me I have been there. When you search for ways to see the hidden passwords you only get methods for rooted phones. Lucky for us, there are some apps and tools available which we can use to recover those saved wifi passwords on android devices. This method can also be employed by hackers to hack wifi passwords easily and view the WiFi password. All you need to know is a little information on how the WiFi works and how it is set up.
How to Find Wifi Password on Android Without Root
There are many tools you can use on rooted devices to hack wifi passwords if even that if that WiFi is your own. But finding wifi passwords on non-root devices is a bit tricky. We have found 3 ways that work.
Method 1: The Wifi Password Share Method
This method works well on almost all smartphones with custom OS such as MI, Oppo, One plus, etc. It works especially well on MI smartphones. For this method to work, you need to be connected to the wifi network.
- Step 1: Open your Android Phone settings and then navigate to the WiFi section as shown below.
- Step 2: Connect your phone to the WiFi network if you haven’t already.
- Step 3:Once your device is connected to the wifi network you will see an option to share the password as shown in the image below.
- Step 4: Click on the share password option and a QRcode will be generated
- Step 5: Take a screenshot of the QR code and then download any QR reader app from the Google Play Store. Mi phone users can directly use the MI scanner app.
- Step 6: Scan the code and you will see the wifi password as shown below. With this easy method, you can directly find the wifi password without root.
Method 2: Android Debugging Method
This is a slightly technical method but works really well as long as you follow the steps. You need a PC for this method to work. This method can extract any wifi password as long as your phone has connected to the wifi at least once. You do not need an active wifi connection to the wifi network.
- Step 1: Enable developer access by going to phone settings and tapping the build number 5-7 times until a message pops up saying, “You are now a developer”.
- Step 2: Now go to android developer settings and Enable USB debugging option as shown in the image below:
- Step 3: Now you need to install minimal ADB drivers on your system. Use the link below to download the ADB Drivers.
- Step 4: Once you have successfully installed the drivers open the app via the desktop shortcut
- Step 5: Connect your device to the system with a USB cable and Test the ADB connection. If you are connecting for the first time then you will get a popup asking for access on your mobile device. Click on allow.
- Step 6: In the command prompt window, type adb services, and then press enter. If it’s working properly, you should see a device on this list as shown in the image below:
Step 7: Now to find the wifi password on your android device you need to access the wpa_supplicant file. To access the file type the following command:
adb pull /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf c:/wpa_supplicant.conf.
This command will copy the saved wifi passwords from your android device to the local disc C: drive of the system.
Step 8: Now use a text editor and open the passwords file. You can see all the passwords below:
You have now learned how to recover wifi passwords on your android device without root.
Method 3: The Router Access Method:
Similar to the first method this method requires you to be connected to the wifi in order for it to work. This method works for both android and PCs.
Step 1: Find Your gateway. If you select wifi settings then you can see the currently connected wifi settings as shown in the image below:
Step 2: Type the gateway address in your android browser and you will reach the router admin page as shown below;
Step 3: Now type the username and password for your router. For most devices, it’s the admin username and admin password. You need to google your wifi model number to find the default router password for your wifi.
Step 4: Once you log in, Go to wifi settings and check the wifi password. You can easily recover the password from here.
Step 5: What if you have set a password to the router but now forgotten it. Well, then you need to reset your router in order to access your router settings. If you can simply reset the router by pressing the router reset button and set up the router with a new password. That way you can get back your wifi access without needing the old password.
The three methods shown above are the only know methods to hack wifi passwords without root according to our knowledge. If you know of any more methods to view WiFi passwords let us know in the comment section below. I hope you found this guide helpful and it helped you recover your wifi password on your android device without root. If you liked this post, then share it with your friends and fellow peers. Also, if you have any doubts, then let us know in the comment section below. We are always happy to help.