Many security experts warn us about the dangers of not changing passwords frequently. The reason being that it makes it harder for hackers to hack into our accounts. But, it also makes it harder for us to get into those accounts because now we are more likely to forget each new password.
What if your most important Gmail account was hacked or you forgot its password? What can you do? All your recovery and social bank accounts are linked to Gmail.
So here is the most demanded article on “how to recover your Gmail account”.If you have forgotten the password or if the account was hacked you must read this article.
Also Read- Secure Your Account Using These Simple Steps
Table of contents
- Questions that Google Will Ask you During your Account Recovery:
- Method 1: You still have access??
- Method 2: Remember me Browsers…?
- Method 3: The “FORGOT PASSWORD” option.
- Method 4: I have no access to my recovery options
- Method 5: “Forgot Gmail Password” with no means of recovering it..??
- Method 6: Your Mobile Phone Number Has Been Changed or hacked
- Method 7: Your Gmail or Google account Has Been compromised or Hacked?
- Method 8: Google business account recovery option
- Method 9: The support forum of google
- Method 10: Guess your forgotten password
- Finally some extra Tips for account recovery
- 1)Answer as many questions as possible
- 2)Use a familiar location you have used to login before
- 3) Be exact with passwords and the answers to security questions
- 4)Passwords you remember
- 5) Answers to Google and Gmail recovery and security question:
- 6)Find out when you created the account
- 7) Enter an email connected to your Gmail or Google account
- 8)Add any helpful details you can think off
- Commonly asked questions
- Finally some extra Tips for account recovery
Questions that Google Will Ask you During your Account Recovery:
These are the questions Gmail/Google asks to help them verify your identity and ownership of your Gmail account. It may include the following questions, not necessarily in the same order.
- An old password: If you’ve changed your Gmail password and can remember a previous password.
- Verification using a recovery code: Depending on the verification method you have set up for the two-factor authentication method, you will get a code from:
- SMS message from Google
- An email message from the support team
- An authenticator app (Google Authenticator)
- Back-up codes
- The secondary email address you set up for Gmail account recovery: To reset the password on your Google Account, click the link in a message that Google will send to your alternate email address for recovery code.
- The security question that you set up for Gmail password recovery: When asked, type the answer to your recovery question.
- When you had set up the account: Enter the month and year when you created the Gmail (or Google) account.
Method 1: You still have access??
I have forgotten my Gmail username/email address/password, but I still have access via desktop/smartphone email client that can still fetch emails from my Gmail account?
If you have set up an email client such as Outlook or Mac os mail any such clients to fetch your emails from your Gmail account directly, you can use this application to extract the username and password from that specific client.
Instructions on how to get the password will differ based on your client application.
- Mac OS X Mail has the given solution for recovery.
For other email clients kindly check their support forums.
Method 2: Remember me Browsers…?
If your browser remembers the password that is you had saved the password by using the “remember me” option or was saved by the browser’s autofill, you should still be able to retrieve your password through the password manager section of your browser.
You can use inspect element to see to the hidden password as shown below:
Using inspect element:
Method 3: The “FORGOT PASSWORD” option.
On the sign-in page of google(Gmail), you can find the forgot password option to recover your Gmail account.
It is the option shown below.
This is the most default method you should try to recover your Gmail account. If you have recovery options set, you will be able to recover your account without much hassle directly.
Just enter your recovery code sent to you by Google and recover your account.
Method 4: I have no access to my recovery options
You may be able to get access to your Gmail account by verifying your identity manually.
- Go to the Google Accounts official recovery page
- Enter your Gmail address and click on Continue.
- When you are asked to enter the last password you remember, click on “I don’t know” option.
- Now click on “Verify your identity”, which is located under all of the other options.
You will now have to answer a series of security and recovery questions you need to answer. There is a list of questions at the beginning of the article. And some extra tips at the end of the article for you to recover your account.
Method 5: “Forgot Gmail Password” with no means of recovering it..??
If you’ve forgotten your password to your Gmail account and you do not have any access, you may be able to recover your account by going to Gmail’s web password recovery site and filling in its support form.
It will give you the following options:
Since you don`t remember your password, click on Try a different question. You may be asked for a number of security and recovery questions
You Might Also Like- Ways to Secure Your Facebook Account From Hackers
Method 6: Your Mobile Phone Number Has Been Changed or hacked
If you have recently changed your mobile phone number, then you can still recover your account. Head to this link to see the process to recover your Gmail account. A reset code will be sent to your recovery email address. You will be asked to set a new password.
Do note: This is basically google`s support forum-based approach. It may or may not work for you. But still giving a try is worth it
Method 7: Your Gmail or Google account Has Been compromised or Hacked?
If someone has hacked your account and changed recovery information, like your phone number or recovery email address, then Gmail has a step-by-step recovery process. First, click the following link to recover your access to the account recovery page:
Enter your email or phone number, and click on the Next button. After you have entered your original email address, Gmail will ask you for the last password that you have used, and then once you enter that correctly it will ask for your email and phone number to send the recovery code
A password reset code will be sent to you. Now, you will be asked to enter the password recovery code, and you will get access to your account. Check your phone messages or email address for the code.
Note: Once you have regained access to your account, we suggest that you immediately change your alternate recovery information and password.
Method 8: Google business account recovery option
If you have a Google Apps business account then you can contact the web administrator for your domain, who can reset your password and/or help you find your username.
If this is unsuccessful, you may need still your Gmail account by resetting the admin password by domain verification.
Hopefully, now you will be able to reset your Gmail and google account password successfully.
Method 9: The support forum of google
Use this forum if you still could not get access to your account. This is the last line of defense. If this does not work for you. Then chances are you need extreme luck to recover your Gmail account. Not everyone has that.
Method 10: Guess your forgotten password
The last and the most luck-based recovery method. Trying to guess your own password.
Write down all the passwords you use and can remember. Don`t leave out any details, take your time and write down all the passwords you can remember.
Once you have done that you can try each of the passwords and pray that it works. It is not going to be easy, have patience and keep trying.
Check out this article on how to guess passwords?
Might be of some use to you.
Finally some extra Tips for account recovery
1)Answer as many questions as possible
Try not to skip any recovery questions. If you’re unsure of the answer, take your best guess at answering it rather than moving on to another question.
2)Use a familiar location you have used to login before
- Use a computer, phone, or tablet which you frequently sign in and use.
- Use the same browser that you usually use when opening your Gmail account.
- Be in the same location where you usually sign in to your Gmail account, like at home or at work
3) Be exact with passwords and the answers to security questions
Details matter, so avoid typing mistakes and pay attention to uppercase and lowercase letters as well as special characters.
In case of security questions, try to write the answers the same way with the same upper and lower case answer.
4)Passwords you remember
If you’re asked for the last password you remember, enter the most recent one you can recall. Make sure you get it right.
- If you don’t remember your last password: Use a previous password that you do remember correctly. The more recent it is, the better the chances of you recovering your account.
- If you can’t confidently recall any previous passwords: Take your best guess at remembering the correct password.
5) Answers to Google and Gmail recovery and security question:
If you’re asked a security question:
- Don’t remember the correct answer: Take your best possible guess to answer the question.
- You Know the answer but still didn’t recover your Gmail account on your first try: Consider a different variation of the answer. Try upper case lower case variation.
6)Find out when you created the account
If you don’t remember the specific month and year that you created your Google Account, here are some ways you can find that out.
- Look for the sign-up email. If you can get access to your Gmail account via phone, then search for a welcome message from your Google or Gmail account if you still have access. If you can’t do that, then check for a verification email on another mail account that you used while setting up this account.
- Ask your contacts, friends and family. If you use Gmail, ask your friends and family about when they got the first email from you.
- Think about the related events or purchases you might have made. Try to remember the following:
- You had a significant life event, like your birthday or some school event.
- You bought a new phone or a tablet. Look for any old receipts or phone contracts that could give you an idea when the account was created.
If you still cannot find out the date you made the Gmail account, then take your best guess.
7) Enter an email connected to your Gmail or Google account
If you have to enter an email address, then enter the one that you have added to your Google account. For example:
- The recovery email address helps you recover your Gmail and Google account
- The alternate email address is the one you can use to sign in along with the primary email address
- The contact email address is where you get contacted by google regarding the services you use
8)Add any helpful details you can think off
If you’re asked for the reason why you can’t access your Gmail account, including all the useful information you can think off.
Some examples are:
- You’re travelling (Location).
- You get a specific error message (Screenshot).
- You think your account was hacked and compromised because of malware or another reason. (Any app or suspicious thing you noticed)
- You changed your password last week, and now you can’t remember it.
If your description matches the information that Google has with them, then this similarity can help you recover your Gmail account.
Commonly asked questions
Q1> I Have Not Registered Alternate Recovery Options can I still recover my account?
If you have not set up, any means to recover your Gmail account then it is going to be very difficult to recover your account since google cannot verify your ownership. Do try the above methods before giving up completely.
Q2> Where is Google`s or Gmail’s customer care..??
Google/Gmail does not have any customer care. They only have support forums whose link is already given in the above methods. So trying to find the mobile number of customer support is not possible.